Wonder of Words News
Thursday, February 23, 2017
Wonder of Words Festival Returns April 22
Lineup includes local and nationally-renowned authors
DOWNTOWN DES MOINES, IOWA – The 2017 Wonder of Words Festival will celebrate the written word with local and national authors in Downtown Des Moines on Saturday, April 22. The Festival will take place from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Des Moines Public Library’s Central Library, 1000 Grand Ave. in Downtown Des Moines. New this year is a collaboration with the Des Moines Public Library. The indoor festival features presentations and book signings by authors of both national and local acclaim, as well as workshops, children’s entertainment/activities and a storytelling competition.
The lineup will feature best-selling and nationally-renowned authors including:
- Caron Levis is the author of “Ida, Always,” a beautiful portrait of friendship. NPR named her book one of the best of 2016, and The New York Times Book Review called it “an example of children’s books at their best.”
- Debra Prinzing is the author of “Slow Flowers,” which has led a movement encouraging people to look local for their floral needs. Through her many Slow Flowers-branded projects, Prinzing has convened a national conversation that stimulates consumers and professionals alike to make conscious choices about their floral selections.
- Maureen Corrigan, a highly trusted and beloved book critic who reviews books for NPR’s “Fresh Air.” She is also a columnist for The Washington Post and the critic-in-residence at Georgetown University. Corrigan is the author of two books of her own: “Leave Me Alone I’m Reading” and “So We Read On: How The Great Gatsby Came to Be and Why it Endures.”
The event will also feature a number of special activities and workshops, including:
- Morning yoga and reading with Andy Douglas. Douglas is the author of “The Curve of the World: Into the Spiritual Heart of Yoga.”
- An interactive Des Moines Writers’ Workshop. The Des Moines Writers’ Workshop is a writing critique group for active writers of all levels and abilities.
- A publishing panel hosted by the Des Moines Writers’ Workshop. Emerging and established local writers will discuss how to navigate the publishing process.
- Kar Gustafson, owner of Curtain Call Kids, will lead a workshop that will show kids and adults alike how to take characters off the pages of their favorite fairy tales and bring them to life on stage.
- The MidAmerican Children’s Book Nook will feature story times with Everybody Wins! Iowa, local illustrator Nathan Wright, local author Ricky Dragoni and royal visits from a surprise princess. The MidAmerican Children’s Book Nook will also feature Gustafson of Curtain Call Kids who will lead an exclusive opportunity to write, practice and perform an original musical in only 90 minutes.
- Storytelling for Kids and Grown Ups. Maureen Korte, a professional storyteller, will lead a workshop in the morning that will give way to a children’s competition and adult competition in the afternoon.
- A Festival Bookstore will feature a selection of books from Beaverdale Books written by both local and nationally acclaimed authors presenting at The Festival.
“The Wonder of Words Festival is a true celebration of the written word,” said Tiffany Tauscheck, Chief Communications Officer at the Greater Des Moines Partnership. “We know how important reading is to education for people of all ages, and this event will allow Greater Des Moines community members to take advantage of the opportunity to meet local and national authors.”
The Wonder of Words Festival is made possible by its sponsors: Prairie Meadows, Des Moines Public Library, MidAmerican Energy, Voya Financial, Bankers Trust, Bravo Greater Des Moines, Knapp Properties Inc., Meredith Corporation and More 104.1.
About the Downtown Community Alliance
The Downtown Community Alliance (DCA), part of the Greater Des Moines Partnership, cultivates a shared vision for Downtown Des Moines through leadership, initiative, advocacy, partnerships and shared solutions. As part of its dedication to cultivating a vibrant Downtown Des Moines core, the DCA produces events that promote Downtown and enhance the quality of life and economic vitality of our community. Visit DowntownDesMoines.com for more information.